Adapted from “Cooking with Entergy”
Serving Size: 4
The Entergy original started with 1.5 sticks of butter, had no garlic or tomatoes, and different seasonings. I made it more like my grandmother’s… but may put the butter back.
1 stick butter
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 pound crayfish, peeled (frozen works fine)
1. Melt butter in a dutch oven.
2. Stir in onions, celery, and bell pepper. Sauté on high until vegetables start to soften — about 10 minutes.
3. Add green onions, parsley, and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent — about 5 minutes.
4. Add flour and seasonings. Stir to incorporate. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add crayfish and tomatoes. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
6. Place a mound of rice in the center of each plate and pour étouffée around. Garnish with additional parsley, if desired.